JR, from the U.S., using Mac OSX, Photoshop c/s writes:
> I don't know how to get the ripped/torn
> edges look on a photos
Several different Photoshop tricks can do the job, but
here are the easiest....
1. Use the lasso tool to draw a jagged line on the object where you want the torn edges.
Complete the circle by continuing outside of the object until you join with the beginning and the area is selected.
2. With your mouse inside the selected area, drag and move it up slightly
to select the area you want to look torn.
3. Choose Filter> Select> Torn Edges
Adjust the three options until you like the effect and hit Okay.
4. Sometimes Photoshop is stubborn and that won't work. Another good option is Filter> Noise> Add Noise. Adjust the level and hit Okay. This option is better on certain colors and textures.
5. If the Torn Edges is unavailable (grayed out), then check your color mode. It won't work in CMYK mode, so just change to RGB under Image> Mode> RGB Color.
-- an excellent Photoshop Tutorial at My Janee site...
Notice Janee's site's main interface -- the torn paper look. In this tutorial, you will not only learn how to make this effect, but you will also get some practice with these:
* Making a texture * Using a Layer Mask * Making a Shadow
This tutorial was written with screenshots from Photoshop 7 or with Elements 2. This entire tutorial can be done with either program. It also will work just fine with PS 5 or PS 6.